Friday, February 5, 2010

Mormons: If Mormonism is true, reading ';anti-Mormon'; literature won't make it any less true, do you agree?

If Mormonism is true - it should be able to stand up to anti-Mormon arguments, correct? You should be able to read them %26amp; if it is true, you won't be swayed by it, right? Or do you shy away from anti-Mormon literature?





If so, why?Mormons: If Mormonism is true, reading ';anti-Mormon'; literature won't make it any less true, do you agree?
I find anti-Mormon literature offensive and no religion should be ';bashed.'; However, I am just as offended when any church or organization gently (or not so gently) tries to regulate how its members learn about the organization. The LDS church teaches its members that they should only learn about the church from approved church sources.





There are/were other organizations that tell/told their people not to learn from any other source: the Nazi's and Communist Russia and China.





Every time I have shared historical data with an LDS person that they did not like they said ';That's not official church doctrine/history.'; Since when did something have to be official to be accurate? I'm not sharing anti-LDS information, just things, from reliable, non-partisan sources, that they don't want to hear.





The only point is that teaching people that only one source can really be trusted produces a people that don't think for themselves and automatically discount credible sources of information and truth. It doesn't matter what organization, religion, or government is doing this; it's still wrong.Mormons: If Mormonism is true, reading ';anti-Mormon'; literature won't make it any less true, do you agree?
Anti mormon literature twist, speak out of contextmake fun of our church, claim something that isn't LDS doctrine as LDS doctrine. It may have been said...but it doesn't necessarily make it doctrine. I can any Protestant leader said this and that and should I claim that is Protestant doctrine?





Lds Doctrine is in our standard works..(Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine %26amp; Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.)


And any new doctrinal or ethical matter comes from the First Presidency, sustained by the general Assembly at General Conference.





No I'm not swayed by anti mormon arguements.


It's a challenge to correct the mis notions on what we believe.





They won't persuade us nor we will persuade them.


But I will correct them for any new investigator or a new member in the church.
Well I am LDS and I get annoyed sometimes by anti mormon stuff because some of it is just trash.





I heard one thing that said an angel appeared to joseph smith with a sword and was going to kill him unless he got multiple wives.





THis is just insane, and cant be proven, its just some made up story.





All we can really do is say no, thats not what we believe happened, this is what happened.... etc





All we can say is yes we believe that or no we dont, we cant really ';prove'; anything to you and give you paper facts on a book or a picture like you want.
Something can be less than true and still be persuasive. I have read enough anti-mormon stuff to know that most of it is incorrect and much of it is willfully deceptive.
Good question.





The problem with the anti-Mormon literature is that often it will be 80% true and 20% lies.....but it doesn't indicate which.





Imagine trying to learn from a professor who taught that way. You'd be scratching your head and confused fairly regularly. You'd question, not just the 20%, but everything. It makes no sense to learn that way.





Further, you wouldn't go to a tutor who hated that subject and thought that it would be better if you failed miserably.





Now that I'm older, sometimes I'll read it to see what angle they're trying to spin things now, however, I'm glad that I avoided it for a long time. Even now, I don't seek it out, but I'll read it and look for their errors.





If someone is sure of what they believe, it won't do any harm.





It is interesting, however, that nearly all of it is put out by ';Christian'; groups who believe in the Bible, including the part that says:





Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness.
Repent and return to the Lord.
I don't shy away from Anti-LDS literature, but I don't seek it out either.
The church and the doctrine do stand up to any and all critics. I've never read any critique that didn't have an answer. However, not all Mormons have done the studying or understand the doctine well enough to hold up against these arguments.





I don't make a habit of reading anti-Mormon literature. I tend to get upset and argumentative while reading it. I'd rather read things that build my faith than try to tear it down.
Some of the stuff is wild, and some of it is out there. For the record, it wa snever the anti material that helped me to leave the church. I had already left when I stumbled upon it, I did however compare what my ex-mormon brother said happen in the temple and what the anti-mormon sites said and they were correct in their information.
You should read everything and then Judge for yourself..... You are a independent and responsible person..... it is your decision which will take you to hell or heaven.....





On the day of judgement you cannot complain that i read this book or that book....








As God has revealed his last book the Quran for human guidance...... It is up to you to accept it or not...





Peace be on you...
If there was some prohibition against Mormons reading anti-Mormon material then all the Mormons answering questions on Yahoo!Answers would be pretty naughty.





I, like all the other Mormons here, read quite a bit of it. We find it misinformed, illogical, distorted, and often malicious. Of course our beliefs stand up to any and all arguments. But while we sometimes can clarify our own thoughts and feelings about the church when reading what others have said and thought, and this makes us stronger, a constant diet of negative thoughts, criticism, scorn, ridicule, misrepresentations, and lies is not exactly uplifting.





Sometimes anti-Mormon literature is destructive. Fawn Brodie will tell you what evil thoughts Joseph Smith had in his mind when he reviewed the Nauvoo Legion. How does Fawn Brodie know what Joseph Smith was thinking? She doesn't, but hearing this kind of evil gossip and speculation about someone I love does not help me to develop Christlike love and charity. Some things cannot be answered at this time because we don't know all the facts.





Let me turn this question around. If Mormonism is not true, why not allow it to self-destruct on its own? Why not look for the good, true, beautiful, and wonderful in the LDS teachings, and celebrate that? Why wallow in the garbage of anti-Mormon lies and distortions?
Im catholic, but I know that it pissed me off when people bash my faith and I dont like being angry- its bad. I assume its the same for mormons
It doesnt matter what religion you are. If you trully believe in your religion, no one will show you anything that will ever sway you. No matter which religion, religion requires faith, and belief. If you truelly have that faith and belief in your religion, why would you ever be swayed by anything?
This question could be expanded to ';Adherents of religion X, if religion X is true, reading ';anti-religion X'; literature won't make it any less true, do you agree?





I also wager you'll get much the same answers no matter which group you address.
I have a friend who is LDS!


And he reads the anti literature all the time, to keep on top of what the detractors say!


He tells me that he cannot believe the lies, or the distortion of the information given!


He says why not just put the information out, and let people DECIDE for THEMSELVES!


We discuss religion all the time, so I am familiar with the doctrine!


But, lo and behold (pardon the pun), the crap I read on here put out by the anti, and the exes, is unbelievable, as in,, not true!


The delighted viciousness if the attack on here is NOT to be believed!


So Christians, keep up your dirty work, you won't change a thing!
You're right, reading anti-mormon literature doesn't make it any less true. I have read anti- mormon literature but I find that it is a waste of time. What's the point of reading criticism when you know something is true?
Anti-Mormon literature is typically not accurate. I read it out of curiosity, recognizing that most of it is BS. I then read the pro-Mormon arguments that refute the false claims.





allaboutmormons . com
No reading anti-Mormon literature would not make the Church any less true. On the other hand, we believe in doing things that would be considered uplifting and edifying.





Watching movies of people getting murdered, raped, tortured would not make the Church any less true either. But doing so would harm your spirit, hurt you countenance and would not improve your life. It would not be spiritually edifying to watch such movies.





On a very elemental level, playing in the dirt and mud would not hurt you, but you sure don't stay clean that way.





Likewise, it would not be edifying to to listen to anti Mormon literature and so forth. A barrage of hurtful material is never good for the soul, for uplifting your spirits.
I think it has more to do with respect for others beliefs. I tend to listen more to someone who tells me about the positive of THEIR beliefs, rather than what they believe is WRONG with someone else's. It seems like those who seek to tear something down, rather than build, are missing the point.
I just find them rather tedious. I find that they will harp on the same item repeatedly. Because saying something about Satan being Jesus' brother is 'shocking'. Mormons think they are gods is 'offbeat'. They will ignore the simple answers direct from their own Bible. These sites make little difference to established members but they are the tares that Jesus said would choke the seed.
Well it survived cults an Ben alive since 1830
I find myself looking at anti-Mormon things or listening to what anti-Mormon people have to say sometimes. I think it's interesting to see other perspectives. Listening doesn't ruin my faith, because a lot of times the things these websites or people have to say are not true or are twisted forms of the doctrine of the LDS church (and I would know, seeing as I have been Mormon my entire life and have done a lot of research on Joseph Smith). It seems to me as if these people are just insistent on proving Mormons ';wrong'; and will say what they need to to make Mormons look bad-- I'm sure many religions (not just Mormons) can relate to this because all religions have people who are against them.
Cause just like the jw's, they are a cult.





I've never seen any archeological evidence to back mormon beliefs. If all that supposed stuff with indians and the battle of hill komrah really happened...why isn't the evidence on display?





We still find plenty of archeological evidence in the Bible and it back the claims of the Bible, therefore biblical Christianity is the only true way to God.





Besides, we don't have to wear majic mormon underwear.





http://youtube.com/watch?v=KsXzHLiHTOU
  • adult myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment