Friday, February 5, 2010

If a book was loved by everybody, then it is not true literature: True or False?

Now, I see most of the questions of 'What do you think of my writing?' and 'Do you think this is good', so on and so forth. What did they expect, for everybody to love what they wrote.





I mean, I believe that if a book was loved by EVERYBODY....well, actually I see that as virtually impossible. And it also strikes me as odd when BOTH Twilight and Harry Potter fans (well, some) would act as though they are having a heart attack when somebody doesn't like either books and criticizes both books and authors. Come on now.





There would always be lovers and there would always be haters of a book, so it surprises me when I see some writers gets taken aback and defensive if nobody wanted to read their book.





What is your take on this? And I welcome all views and opinions.If a book was loved by everybody, then it is not true literature: True or False?
You are right - there is no book - and never will be a book - that is loved by everyone. And that's great, for it just shows how people and cultures are very different, and that makes the world interesting.But we writers are a sensitive bunch (most of us, anyway) and we want what we've written to be liked by many; when we get negative comments or scathing reviews it tends to hurt our feelings (I'm speaking for myself - I'm sure there are others who feel the same way). However, the more one writes, the more one is exposed to comments, both positive and negative, and we can accept, more readily, the bad with the good. It all comes with maturing - and I don't necessarily mean ';aging.';If a book was loved by everybody, then it is not true literature: True or False?
People have different tastes in everything : music , art , movies , preference of color , etc.


Books are not an exception .
It depends how you define 'true literature'.


Some material is too complex for the less intelligent of our population who prefer to obsess over sparkly characters. Some material is too generic and simple to satisfy others.





You've sort of posed two questions here, and the above just answers the first one. However, it is impossible for a book to be loved by everyone.


This is partly because a writer must draw from their own experience and opinions in order to create powerful or 'true' literature, and since everybody's views contrast then it is very easy for a group of people to object to a message that an author is attempting to portray. (This objection takes the form of disliking it.)








So yeah. False.
I do, very much agree with you. As you might have noticed by my avatar, I'm a big Harry Potter fan. I haven't met that many haters of the Harry Potter series, but when I do meet one, I get very defensive. I try to understand their point of view. If they have a good reason for not liking the books or perhaps their religion doesn't allow witchcraft, then I just drop the subject. But then there are those people like my sister who have never read the books but insist that they are horribly written.





Anyway, back to the question, I do agree with you. If I'm a fan of a book and I meet a hater of that book, naturally I will defend my case, but I also try to hear the other person out and not freak out at them.... like SOME people I know.......

No comments:

Post a Comment